Monday, April 20, 2020

Ah, Spring Break. Different is Good!

Last week was spring break for Piedmont schools. I felt relaxed. There was definitely more space in my head for figuring out distance learning lessons, taking care of myself, and supporting my family by cooking passover pancakes for breakfast once and matzah brei twice.
Now, we are back to school, back to work, back to feeling stressed. However, things feel a little bit more manageable as I am starting to get used to this new style of school. It's not the teaching I signed up for, nor is it the teaching I enjoy (people person here - I need my face to face interactions), but it is feeling doable for the remaining 6 weeks of school this year. Next year? One can only hope that we will be back to in-person life and teaching. For now, here we are.
Recent Accomplishments: a 500 piece puzzle, lesson plans for the week, yoga and aerobic exercise nearly every day.
Recent Adventures: To break Passover, we traveled to Walnut Creek for a sweet grandma pizza from Tony's Slice House, which we ate in the car, then immediately to San Francisco for a variety of pizzas from Tony's Napoletana (yes, same Tony, yes, two different menus) which we started to eat in the car and saved a lot for home. Delicious! Only Mark was disappointed because of the parmesan cheese sprinkled all over the ones from SF. We tried to get Swensen's ice cream (swiss orange chip is the Bloom family favorite for everyone but me) afterward, as is our tradition, but they closed their shop due to the virus on March 17th. That was disappointing to all of us.
Speaking of ice cream, Three Twins sadly closed up shop suddenly (or at least we thought it was sudden) on Friday. This immediately began an adventure of finding and buying their special flavors such as chocolate orange confetti and mocha difference. We had success at Mulberry's and Rocky's. Sorry to everyone else that didn't get the chance to have one last taste of these amazing and unique ice cream flavors from Three Twins. We would invite you over to share but... maybe someday...
One last adventure: yesterday we stopped at North Beach for some pizza and brought it to my mother-in-law's for a socially distanced lunch date. All four of us sat outside on the patio while Mom sat inside the kitchen and talked to us through the screen door. The food was yummy and it was wonderful to spend time together even though we couldn't hug. Since she lives alone, we wanted to check in with her in person, spend some time with her, and make sure she knows how much we love her. That was a special treat.
Right now I am making myself some jasmine tea from the blooms in my yard. It is sweet and yummy and warms me up literally and figuratively. The jasmine was one of the reasons we purchased this house in 2001. That story is for another blog post.


No comments:

Post a Comment