Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Tears on My Yoga Mat

Poem for Today
March 25, 2020
Shelter In Place Week 2

I have not written poetry since 1990-something. Yesterday, I was inspired
by words written by The Zen Teacher, Dan Tricarico, to write a poem about
his morning gratitudes and observations. This morning I was flooded with some overwhelming emotions. So I wrote
about it. My second poem in two days, also my second poem in 3 decades.
I don't feel confident posting this, but I am inspired by my January 2000
Mommies friend, Karen Knox, who posted her song, to do so anyway.
Maybe it will help one person.


Tears on My Yoga Mat


It’s too much sometimes.
Stop. Breathe in. Arch like a cat.
I feel sad.
Stop. Breathe out. Round like a cow.
This sadness might be grief.
Stop. Slide the arm to thread the needle.
Uncertainty. Unknown. I don’t know. No one knows.
Stop. Slide the other arm.
I’m not enough. It’s never enough. 
Stop. Back to table top. Breathe.
How can I take care of others when I can’t even take care of myself?
Stop. Keep breathing.
The tears come. I feel this feeling.
Keep breathing.
I let this feeling flow through me.
Keep breathing and crying.
This is sadness. This is grief.
Keep breathing and wipe eyes.
I am okay. I am not sick.
Keep breathing and blow nose.
Grateful for the yoga mat with tears on it.
Keep breathing and walk downstairs.
Grateful for the hug from husband.
Keep breathing and write this poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment