Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Games and Music and Reading and Puzzles and Exercise

Shelter in Place, Week 3

Music:
Jonah is sitting at the piano playing a song with his not-girlfriend Haylee on his phone watching him and listening. She lives in Northern Virginia and they are spending loads of time together online. Both Micah and Jonah are learning guitar. Jonah started earlier this semester as his Independent Project for Advanced Acting class at Piedmont High School. Micah has just started learning during this shelter in place situation and is already making so much progress. He can already play "Puff, The Magic Dragon." Over and over and over and over again. :-) Mark plucks out tunes on the piano as well, and plays a lot of guitar. I am the only non-musician in the house. I guess I sort of sing. I like to say I can carry a tune in a bucket, but I'm not always on key. My talent lies in the making of parodies which all of the other members of this house also do. My most recent parody is "We're All In This Together" which I will post here after I have recorded it. Mark writes one or two new ones each year for Purim. Micah freestyle raps.

Games:
We have quite a large collection of games in the cabinet downstairs. The boys decided we would work through them one by one while we are here at home. Most of the games are being played by the three of us, but Mark has joined us more often than I expected. The first one we played was Abalone. That was just Micah and me. I started winning , 4 - 0, and he decided it wasn't fun and we were done.
Here are the games we have played as a family of four to date:
Spy Alley, Scattergories, Texas Hold-Em Poker, Yahtzee, Cards Against Humanity, Apples to Apples Jewish Edition, The Magic Kingdom Game, and Water Pong.
Here are the games that Micah, Jonah, and I played without Mark so far:
Yahtzee Turbo, Wig Out, Monopoly Empire, Top Secret Adventures Game, Sorry!, Candy Land, Life,  Baseball Monopoly, and Skip Bo.
We have many, many more games in the closet. As we progress through them, I will continue to update the blog.

Puzzles:
I have a daily Puzzle Page on my phone that my sister introduced me to. I love to do the selected puzzles every day. I also play Words with Friends, Boggle, Wordscapes, Lumosity, and Song Pop pretty much every day.
My neighbor Wendy traded me three jigsaw puzzles, of which we had none on hand, in exchange for some hand weights. I gave her my 5 lbs and 8 lbs because I am too weak to use them. I kept my 1 lbs, 2 lbs, and 3 lbs which I plan to use. Really. I do. And I plan to do one of the jigsaw puzzles after Pesach. Next week is Pesach. More on that in another post.

Books and Magazines:
I thought I would do a lot more reading. In actuality I am spending most of my time doing school related things. I promise a big long post about that is coming. Right now, switching to distance learning is just overwhelming. I did finish reading my TBA book club book, Ester and Ruzya by Masha Gessen, which I recommend. I am currently reading my Through The Tunnel book club book, Fleishman is in Trouble by Taffy Brodesser-Akner which is an easy read, but I'm not recommending it yet. I have a big pile of magazines that I plan to get through. Maybe when I am having my screen free Shabbat, I will be able to do a bit more reading.

Exercise:
I am doing my usual 10-ish minutes on the stationary bike followed by my yoga/physical therapy exercises. Some days I have been taking yoga through my friend Karin's club. I will need to make a donation for the classes somehow. I don't have PayPal, Venmo, Zelle, or any other electronic money transfer capabilities so I have to figure that out. On Sundays, I am doing aerobics (outside, she uses her front steps) with my friend Lisa. It was super fun last week, and I am looking forward to doing it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment