Friday, April 3, 2020

How could I have forgotten Mah Jongg?

Mah Jongg. It's more than a game.

It is hard for me to believe that I didn't include Mah Jongg when I listed the games I am playing. There are a few good websites for playing National Mah Jongg League (NMJL) mah jongg online. My friends are mostly using realmahjongg.com and myjongg.net, but a few also enjoy the nationalmahjonggleague.org and mahjonggtime.com. The sites have been experiencing overload and sometimes not working very well as they are flooded with new users confined to their homes and looking for ways to fill their time.
We were all really excited when we received our new cards for 2020. It is always fun to exercise my brain this way and learn the new hands. I am so grateful they were able to be mailed out before the league closed temporarily.
My Bubby Myrna Cohen and Mom-Mom Shirley Goldberg taught me how to play when I was a child. My brother and sister and I used to make up our own hands because we didn't have the cards, and it was more fun that way. Bubby played with her friends at the pool, Woodcrest Country Club, while we kids swam and ran around. Mom-Mom memorized her card as soon as she got it. She left me one of her Mah Jongg sets. I have some lovely, happy memories of her playing with me and my friends here in California when she came to visit. So grateful for that.
When I traveled home to New Jersey recently, I taught my mom Siamese Mah Jongg for two players instead of four. It's fun, but not as good as having 4 people playing!
If you want to play with me online at realmahjongg.com or myjongg.net my user name is karenbloom21. See you at the table!

No comments:

Post a Comment